- - Shelby Township (Shelby Parkway)
- Full Time
SUMMARY: The Packaging Engineer is primarily responsible to support manufacturing operations by working with internal resources and packaging suppliers to achieve functional packaging goals. Reports directly to Engineering Manager. Works in conjunction with Sales, Engineering, Purchasing, Quality and Manufacturing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Work directly with the management team and packaging suppliers in the creation of packaging designs, prototype development and performance testing.
- Support troubleshooting process of new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes, and provide creative, timely and cost effective solutions.
- Review engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of items, special handling, environmental and safety requirements and types of materials required for packaging.
- Complete required internal and customer packaging documents to obtain packaging approvals via signature/email/customer portals.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation and storage.
- Work closely with Purchasing to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization, standardization, supply assurance and compliance with customer regulatory and internal requirements.
- Work with the manufacturing department to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Work with partners overseas to specify customer requirements for importing various components.
- Update bill of materials with packaging items as needed.
- Assist in developing and implementing comprehensive test plans to ensure the packaging exceeds customer specifications.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Engage in continuous improvement opportunities as required.
- Maintain compliance of IATF 16949 / ISO 9001 / ISO 14001.
Follows all safety, housekeeping (5S) and company policies and procedures.
Coordinates and maintains all job responsibilities in a continuous and flexible manner and performs other related duties and job assignments as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Packaging Engineering is required. Knowledge and understanding of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, etc) drafting and specification standards is essential. Demonstrable proficiency in 3D CD software needed.
Problem solving and decision making skills are necessary. Must be able to work independently and in a team environment. Must have good communication skills, orally and written. Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts are needed. Must be able to demonstrate project management skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk, hear, and walk. Occasionally bend, squat, reach, twist/turn and lift up to 10 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.