Paint Department Manager
- - Benton Harbor
- Full Time
SUMMARY: The Paint Department Manager's is responsible for the supervision of production personnel to safely plan, coordinate, train and motivate employees in order to offer the best products to our customers. Provides production personnel with continual process improvement to ensure consistent quality of products. Works with production personnel to understand and build strong relationships thereby building an effective team. Reports to the General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Operation and supervision of robotic overhead conveyor paint line (Power wash, Robotic Paint Robots, Convection Dry off & Final Cure Ovens).
- Experience in robot programming.
- Oversee paint line, including monitoring finished parts, scheduling color changes, quality checks of parts before and after paint, maintain inventory of paints and solvents, and chemical iteration testing of wash system.
- Directs overall paint line operation and performance to meet company standards for safety, quality and quantity.
- Inspection of finished items for compliance with customer requirements.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of team members to meet production goals while maintaining the highest level of quality in a time-sensitive environment.
- Confer with other departments to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments. Ability to communicate with all levels within the organization.
- Complete production plan by scheduling and assigning personnel, accomplishing work results, establishing priorities, monitoring progress, revising schedules, and resolving problems.
- Read and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules and other reports to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
- Interpret specifications, blueprints, job orders and Company policies and procedures.
- Observe work and monitor gauges, dials, and other indicators to ensure that operators conform to production or processing standards.
- Accomplish manufacturing staff results by communicating job expectation: planning, monitoring and appraising job results, coaching, counseling and disciplining employees, initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies and procedures.
- Resolve personnel problems by analyzing data, investigating issue, identifying solution and recommending action.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints or grievances.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process, setting processing variables, observing control points and equipment, monitoring personnel and resources, implementing cost reductions, developing reporting procedures and systems, facility corrections to malfunctions with process control points, and initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation with and between departments.
- Inspect materials, products, or equipment to detect defects or malfunctions.
- Coach and identify the developmental needs of team members and helping improve their knowledge and skills.
- Conduct employee training in equipment operations or work and safety procedures.
- Maintain and enforce safe, and clean work environment by educating and directing personal on the use of all control points, equipment and resources, and maintaining compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Provide manufacturing information by compiling, sorting and analyzing production performance records and data to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
- Requisition materials, supplies, equipment parts, or repair services.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Support and maintain compliance of IATF 16949 / ISO 9001 / ISO 14001.
Follows all safety, housekeeping and company policies and procedures.
Coordinates and maintains all job responsibilities in a continuous and flexible manner and performs other related duties and job assignments as required.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent leadership including team building, collaboration, conflict resolution, motivation.
- Motivate, develop and direct team members to achieve the highest performance level possible.
- Monitor and assess team member performance to track progress and to identify areas for improvement and correction action, where needed.
- Active listening to team members, taking time to understand the points being made and asking questions as appropriate to give full attention to what team members are saying.
- Decision-making and considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate course.
- Understanding of Lean manufacturing principles and Six Sigma problem solving a strong plus, with proven track record of participating in continuous improvement in a complex manufacturing environment.
- Possess strong safety practices and have ability to impart safety awareness/practices within team.
- Must possess exemplary communication skills, coaching skills and good business judgment, with the ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from members of all levels of the organization.
- Ability to gather, analyze and interpret detailed information.
- Advanced understanding of production functions and processes.
- Ability to mentor and develop direct reports and be willing to provide hands-on leadership.
- Computer proficiency required, must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Associate Degree in a business or related field preferred.
No less than 5 years progressively responsible experience in production manufacturing leadership roles or an equivalent combination of education and experience. 5 years of paint experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk, hear, and walk. Occasionally bend, squat, reach, twist/turn and lift up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.